Thursday, September 22, 2005

 

Swiffer Wetjet poison

I didn't know this! For those of you with animals......
I recently had a neighbor who had their 5-year old German shepherd dog put down due to liver failure. The dog was completely healthy until a few weeks ago. They had a necropsy done to see what the cause was. The liver levels were unbelievable, as if the dog had ingested poison of some kind. The dog is kept inside, and when he's outside, someone's with him, so the idea of him getting into something unknown was hard to believe.

My neighbor started going through all the items in the house. When he got to the Swiffer Wetjet, he noticed, in very tiny print, a warning which stated "may be harmful to small children and animals." He called the company to ask what the contents of the cleaning agent are and was astounded to find out that antifreeze is one of the ingredients. (Actually he was told it's a compound which is one molecule away from antifreeze). Therefore, just by the dog walking on the floor cleaned with the solution, then licking its own paws, it ingested enough of the solution to destroy its liver. Soon after his dog's death, his housekeepers' two cats also died of liver failure. They both used the Swiffer Wetjet for quick cleanups on their floors. Necropsies weren't done on the cats, so they couldn't file a lawsuit, but he asked that we spread the word to as many people as possible.

EVEN IF YOU DO NOT OWN A PET PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD!

Comments:
Check out our take on Kanye's speech:

http://www.myspace.com/tastygritsmusic

'Dear George' Tasty grits feat Chosan
 
Not true, urban legend.

For details, see:
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp
 
It's an urban legend!

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp
 
This is an "urban legend" that has been circulating for some time now. Here is the official P&G statement as well as other sites debunking this claim including one from the ASPCA:
"There is a false Internet rumor circulating rapidly among pet owners alleging that Swiffer® WetJet® may contain antifreeze and is harmful to pets. The Swiffer Wet® cloths and WetJet® liquid solution cleaners do not contain antifreeze or any ingredient similar to it. In fact, all Swiffer products are safe to use around pets."
We evaluated the Swiffer Wet cloths and WetJet cleaners to ensure they're safe-a fact confirmed by the ASPCA®, independent veterinarians, and scientists. In fact, for nearly five years, people in more than 15 million U.S. homes have safely used Swiffer products on everything from the kitchen and living room floors to tables and ceiling fans.
We have pets, too, and their health and well-being are very important to us. Please help us stop this rumor by sharing the truth with others. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us."

http://www.aspca.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=16054&security=2220&news_iv_ctrl=1101
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

11/15/04   11/20/04   11/26/04   11/30/04   12/03/04   12/04/04   12/11/04   12/18/04   12/20/04   12/22/04   12/26/04   12/31/04   01/06/05   01/08/05   01/12/05   01/19/05   01/21/05   01/22/05   01/26/05   02/04/05   02/05/05   02/09/05   02/12/05   02/14/05   02/16/05   02/20/05   02/23/05   02/25/05   03/02/05   03/19/05   03/24/05   04/02/05   04/15/05   04/21/05   04/23/05   04/25/05   05/02/05   05/05/05   05/12/05   05/14/05   05/17/05   05/30/05   06/03/05   06/13/05   06/23/05   06/29/05   06/30/05   07/14/05   07/22/05   07/27/05   07/28/05   08/12/05   08/15/05   08/16/05   08/23/05   08/24/05   09/01/05   09/02/05   09/08/05   09/17/05   09/20/05   09/22/05   09/23/05   09/27/05   10/21/05  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?